Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Why I disliked "The Perfect Pear"

Nightfall Veilwing

I saw The Perfect Pear a month ago, and I'm not too fond of this episode. I know we've been waiting for this for 7 years now, but what we got left much to be desired. :dry:

Why do I dislike this episode? Well, let's start with the relationship between Bright Mac and Pear Butter. Their relationship, and the episode itself, was a Romeo & Juliet ripoff. This formula has done so many times already, and this episode is just cliché and predictable. Also, Bright Mac and Pear Butter don't have any chemistry whatsoever, and they were together because the plot needed them to be. And the hatred Grand Pear had for the Apples was unjustified and groundless. And it was over both families selling their produce. Grand Pear and Granny Smith took this feud too far, to the point to where the other family members suffered, and it had nothing to do with them, but Grand Pear and Granny Smith had too big of a grudge than to see how it was affecting their families. At least Granny Smith let go of hers at the wedding.

Overall, this episode was basically a fan service episode, and a lazy on at that. It's like the writers made this episode to say, "There, we made the episode about AJ's parents. Will you just shut up about it now?" If you were to take this episode out of the series, you wouldn't miss much, if anything at all. This episode was meh at best, and if I were to label it, I'd label it as a "filler episode," as that's what it pretty much is. 

That's just my views on this episode. What are you? Did you enjoy it? Did you think it was good, or was did it not fulfill our high expectations for AJ's parents? Expectation that was high for the past 7 years, no less!

• Brohoof 2

I thought it was adorable.

From a writer's standpoint - Yes, it did follow a template, but this is okay, all stories follow a template. If they didn't use R & J then it would have been Beau and Beast (cursed), or Forest Gump (class) or Harry & Sally (comedy). I don't think a Love Triange (leave/return) template would have worked!

So while I respect your opinion, I just didn't see it that way. I really liked her parents' interactions and character traits. It was heartwarming to see AJ and AB had loving parents, and that other ponies in Ponyville were close to them.

Call me a sucker! :please:

• Brohoof 8

Me and the rest of the brony community are stilling wanting to know what happened  to Pear Butter and Bright Mac. Did they die? Did the divorce? Are the still alive somewhere unknown? Is this the only time we'll see them?

Noponies knows. :P

Yeah - their fate is not clear. I believe they must have passed - there is just no indication at all of anything else - other than total NULL (death being pretty much the NULL of all NULLS).

6 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Me and the rest of the brony community are stilling wanting to know what happened  to Pear Butter and Bright Mac. Did they die? Did the divorce? Are the still alive somewhere unknown? Is this the only time we'll see them?

Noponies knows. :P

They're so obviously dead! They kept referring them in past tense and they said the hugging trees were something to remember them by.

Besides while R+J was about how closed minds and prejudice keeps a couple in love from blooming naturally, this episode was more about how their relationship impacted others in positive ways!

• Brohoof 7

What was the point of Grand Pear picking a feud with he Apples in the first place?

I'm guessing Grand Pear is scared of something that he associates the Apples with, and prejudice is based on ignorance and fear.

So, it's logical that the "hatred" Grand Pear has for the Apples is really fear. Does that make sense?

The feud was over business at the end of the day. Anger and hatred have formed over far less in history. Sure they each sold a different type of produce, but I guess in their minds, there was only room for one of them. Maybe they really did hate each others product, but really I just think it was a rivalry that turned into honest disdain for each other based upon petty jealousy and pride. People take feuds and rivalries too far all the time sadly.

Anyway, it was a good episode. It had a a lot of heart and really played with our emotions. Easily one of the best episodes of the series. It is fine to dislike it, but it is definitely not filler.

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Anyway, it was a good episode. It had a a lot of heart and really played with our emotions. Easily one of the best episodes of the series. It is fine to dislike it, but it is definitely not filler.

As beautiful the episode was, the romance between Bright Mac and Pear Butter was unrealistic. :dry:

Pear Butter and Bright Mac were bland, personality-wise, and they didn't have any chemistry, like literally every fairly tale couple ever!

I'm sorry, okay? :(

I honestly think it was one of the best episodes.  It acualy left me with MORE questions about them than before.  OHHHHHH I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!(figured out what?) PINKIE PIE IS A PEAR!!!!! HOLY $@%#. (yikes) I CANT BELIEVE (sorry) THIS. AHHHHH, SHUT UP PARENTHESES ME!!! (ok sorry, bye) yas.:orly:

• Brohoof 2

17 hours ago, Millennium Shadow said:

As beautiful the episode was, the romance between Bright Mac and Pear Butter was unrealistic.

Exactly how was it unrealistic? A lot of people go through that type of romance all the time. Also how exactly were they bland? Sure they were not fully fleshed out, not having more than 1 episode does that to a character, but they certainly had personality and were not "bland". As for chemistry... personally I think chemistry is only understood by those partaking of it. I have always hated when people look at two people in love or dating or whatever and say.. "Ugh! They have no chemistry together! I just don't get it!?".... well of course you don't... you are not them. So my point is, I know some people want to disagree, but I firmly believe the only people who know whether they have chemistry or not, would be themselves... and since they are fictional characters, I choose to accept it rather than redefine it by own personal viewpoints and opinions.

Why are you apologizing? You are free to feel and think anyway you like.

• Brohoof 3

21 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

Exactly how was it unrealistic? A lot of people go through that type of romance all the time. Also how exactly were they bland? Sure they were not fully fleshed out, not having more than 1 episode does that to a character, but they certainly had personality and were not "bland". As for chemistry... personally I think chemistry is only understood by those partaking of it. I have always hated when people look at two people in love or dating or whatever and say.. "Ugh! They have no chemistry together! I just don't get it!?".... well of course you don't... you are not them. So my point is, I know some people want to disagree, but I firmly believe the only people who know whether they have chemistry or not, would be themselves... and since they are fictional characters, I choose to accept it rather than redefine it by own personal viewpoints and opinions.

Why are you apologizing? You are free to feel and think anyway you like.

You said it pretty well here, I think. 

@Millennium Shadow I think you simply don't understand it that well.

You say they have no chemistry, despite showing instances of Bright Mac willingly getting himself in trouble to ensure Butter Pear was safe.Showing how they're willing to be with each other despite the dangers they were committing.

As for being a romeo and juliet rip off, so what? It's not even an entire rip off, It's inspired by it, But it's not the same, As we don't see Bright Mac kill someone accidentally, or these two dying because they thought the other was dead

Also that was the point of the episode, It was supposed to show how bad they screwed up going so deep and long to the family feud.

Also not missing much?

This provided us all but confirmation that the apple parents are dead gave us a look into the parents, even showed a bit about their children being half pears.

And we even see small instances like Mac asking his father's friend on what was he like, to show of how interested he is of his dad.

Also, it greatly helps out S3's Apple Family reunion.

Where it pretty much confirms those two shooting stars you see streaking across the sky are to represent AJ's dead parents, and thus made her efforts at the reunion take on a whole new meaning for her.

Perfect pear created a story that was inspired by Romeo and Juliet in comparison as there's clear differences to create it's own identity.

• Brohoof 1

Most episodes have cliché.

Yeah it could've been a short-lived romance for all we know, but they are ponies, that is enough for them to pull through successfully. But then it'd be a bad lesson for kids, yeah. Except for the fact that if you have kids when you are younger they tend to be healthier if you have a fully developed um hip-span, because otherwise developmental problems and birth complications. If you have kids when too old chance for autism and other defects increases (no offense).

Well the grudge does make sense, they are competitors. Its a natural well founded grudge. If you say its bad just because of that grudge, then you must think the Dash episodes are bad cuz they made you cringe? It only speaks of how little you can handle conflict, not of the show if you dislike that.

Also the episode is too recent we can't know if they do build off of it or not so saying its just fan-service, you don't know that. Also it appeels(heh) to different demographics, I think it was handled well.

On 20-7-2017 at 11:36 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

Overall, this episode was basically a fan service episode, and a lazy on at that. It's like the writers made this episode to say, "There, we made the episode about AJ's parents. Will you just shut up about it now?" If you were to take this episode out of the series, you wouldn't miss much, if anything at all. This episode was meh at best, and if I were to label it, I'd label it as a "filler episode," as that's what it pretty much is. 

Why is a fan service a lazy episode? 

On 7/27/2017 at 6:13 AM, Hierok said:

Why is a fan service a lazy episode? 

Because if they wanted to make an episode of AJ's parents, they wouldn't done it a long time ago, instead of waiting 7 years. If this episode was removed or wasn't made, you wouldn't be missing anything.

The episode itself a ripoff of Romeo & Juliet, even to the part where the parents hate the other parent's family for no reason, other than just to be a jerk because the R&J story requires it.

And the romance between Pear Butter and Bright Mac is unrealistic, and they don't have any chemistry, nothing noticeable, at least.

Even Mr./Mrs. Cake don't have any chemistry, either. The only thing they got is just calling each other names that every new couple calls each other.

I unable to feel love, anyways, so... :(

5 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

Because if they wanted to make an episode of AJ's parents, they wouldn't done it a long time ago, instead of waiting 7 years. If this episode was removed or wasn't made, you wouldn't be missing anything.

Yes you would. You would be missing the episode you asked for. You have a lot of people asking for the return of Lightning Dust, Spike's origin, Celestia & Luna's origin, Starlight's parents, Scootaloo's parents, Trixie's origins (OK, that one is me) and a boatload of other things. The writers may or may not ever get to them, after all they are writing a show for both the fandom as well as for kids in general. They don't HAVE to do any of those things, they can just leave the fans wondering and filling in the blanks, but they do try to put some stuff out there just because they recognize fans want it. Just because you did not care about the Apple family does not mean no one else did and did not need that episode to close a chapter on their personal MLP cartoon wish-list.

13 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

The episode itself a ripoff of Romeo & Juliet, even to the part where the parents hate the other parent's family for no reason, other than just to be a jerk because the R&J story requires it.

So what? Several episodes could be called rip offs of something. It is really rare for anything to come along anymore that does not reference something else in some way shape or form for somebody. And you were explicitly told why there was a rivalry before... do you just assume because you don't agree with it, it should not exist? You know far worse feuds over much pettier things have existed right?

28 minutes ago, Millennium Shadow said:

And the romance between Pear Butter and Bright Mac is unrealistic, and they don't have any chemistry, nothing noticeable, at least.

Even Mr./Mrs. Cake don't have any chemistry, either. The only thing they got is just calling each other names that every new couple calls each other.

I unable to feel love, anyways, so..

So if you don't know what love is, how the hell can you in anyway tell anyone else what is or is not realistic?  I firmly believe chemistry is only felt by those within the relationship, and not by those just observing it and snidely commenting, but I do think it is possible for those in a similar situation to take cues from those "lovers" and be able to understand and relate to them. I certainly can. If you cannot relate to it, well so be it... that does not mean it is not there.

• Brohoof 1

I wish it had revealed a few more details about what happened to the Apple parents, but I found it very charming, and had a lot of sympathy for Bright Mac and Pear Butter's forbidden love even if it did follow a template. Plus, the framing story had a lot of powerful nuances even if I felt like they weren't given enough context. One of the few episodes I liked this season. 

>me when I first saw the title of this thread

db7.jpg

But seriously, I could not disagree more with the reasons you gave.  As a kids show, MLP will be the first place that a lot of the target demographic will encounter what most older people would refer to as overused tropes.  Sure, the whole star-crossed lovers thing has been overdone, but to the little girls that this show is targeted towards, this was something entirely new.

Pear Butter and Bright Mac did have chemistry, which was shown throughout the show by the fact that there wasn't a single moment that they weren't trying to sneak off behind their parents' back.  Could they have shown a bit more?  Definitely, but if you had to write a love story that could be told in less than twenty minutes, you'd also find that you wouldn't be able to go into great detail about each defining moment of their relationship.

The mutual hatred between Granny Smith and Grand Pear was ENTIRELY realistic.  They may have sold different products, but they were still competing for business in a small town.  As someone else in the thread mentioned, people have become nemeses over much less than a business rivalry.  Plus, the way that their rivalry hurt their own children was just as realistic, and there are multiple stories throughout history of people who let their hatred consume their lives to the point that nothing else mattered but one-upping their haters while the ones they loved suffered.

Finally, while I can't deny that this episode was fanservicey, there was nothing to suggest that this was lazily thrown together.  That song was top notch, the dialogue was poignant, and the character development was inspiring.  I've known multiple people who actually starting watching the show again after this episode, and it wasn't just because AJ's parents were finally revealed, it's because this was such a good episode.

I honestly don't care if they ever make an episode explaining what happened to AJ's parents, though I'm leaning more towards wishing they don't.  MLP has never once directly referenced the death of a character, and I don't see them ever doing so.  As such, I'll continue to headcanon that her parents are dead, and everyone who disagrees is free to continue believing whatever they want to believe.

• Brohoof 1

13 hours ago, Millennium Shadow said:

There was nothing wrong with the time line on this episode. Yes, detailing Pear Butter and Bright Mac's relationship could've been done much earlier, but nothing was lost by it being done when it was. I personally wanted to see this episode. What would've been lazy, IMO, would be hinting at AJ's parents and their fate and never actually having an episode on them.

There are very few, if any, original works these days. Everything is based on or copies something, even if the creator isn't entirely aware of it. According to many, Avatar is just Pocahontas in space and Lion King is just Hamlet with animals, but both have huge followings and are loved by many.

I can't speak for romance being unrealistic or not. Unfortunately, the sensationalized romance of Hollywood is often touted as what real life romances should be, with "sparks" and "chemistry" being number 1. However, some of the best relationships I've ever seen required no additional zest.

The Cakes aren't main characters, so I don't expect them to be too fleshed out. To me, they are a midlife couple who are very comfortable and loving with one another. Honestly, now that I think of it, they aren't too different from a couple that ran a seafood business around where I used to live, haha!

It's fine if you didn't like the episode though. If the reasons you listed broke the episode for you, then no one can tell you you're wrong for that. I just wanted to list the reasons for why the episode worked for me! :)

• Brohoof 1

i also wasnt too keen on the episode. 

Yes hurrah we finally got Apple Parents story - confirms they are dead too, but it was so rushed and forced that I didnt enjoy it. I cant stand Pear Butter =/ Bright Mac was alright, but tbh they didnt DO anything or say much. it was very much a narrative feel to the episode. 

Youre right on the lack of chemistry. Maybe this would have been better executed as a mini saga of the Apple History, just so that some of us can get to grow to liking the characters over time. This episode was mearly "hey here's the Apple Parents, enjoy!". I had no emotional connection to the song or the surprise wedding proposal.... it was all very bland and rushed. 

What I want to see is what life was like for the Apples when Pear Butter was expecting Apple Bloom, i want to see some actual family episodes, maybe flesh out the characters some more too. 

On 7/20/2017 at 5:36 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

What are you?

8556681ddcafe6135e7c4babca73e445d9332a57

Did you enjoy it?

Very much so. 

Did you think it was good

Yes. 

or was did it not fulfill our high expectations for AJ's parents?

It surpassed my expectations on addressing the Apple folks. Similar to Parental Glideance and Flurry of Emotions, there are elements of the narrative that resonated with me personally and deeply which has led this particular episode to rise to my favorite of the season ... and the series. 

22 hours ago, GrimGrimoire said:

So if you don't know what love is, how the hell can you in anyway tell anyone else what is or is not realistic?  I firmly believe chemistry is only felt by those within the relationship, and not by those just observing it and snidely commenting, but I do think it is possible for those in a similar situation to take cues from those "lovers" and be able to understand and relate to them. I certainly can. If you cannot relate to it, well so be it... that does not mean it is not there.

Agreed. My own real life story actually showcases that the broad brush strokes they gave us in Perfect Pear can be realistic. I found a few parallels to my own relationship. 

It's always a curious thing to me when I read comments like the OP about love and romantic relationships that are written in such an authoritative tone, yet they don't have the experience to back it up. At least in this case there was a 'ignore what I just said' statement at the end. I do have to question the purpose behind why it was even typed.

Anyway, there are a handful of people on here that are older than the average and are in (or were in) very fulfilling long term relationships, and hearing how some of they met ... well one of them met their wife by being stabbed by them. I met mine by spilling a large fountain drink all over her. 

Truth resists simplicity. 

Their relationship, and the episode itself, was a Romeo & Juliet ripoff.

Considering Shakespeare pulled heavily from (at least) two other writers to craft his play ... making that work as derivative as Perfect Pear was to you ... 

200.gif

• Brohoof 5

On 7/20/2017 at 2:36 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

What are you?

A not so active brony now

On 7/20/2017 at 2:36 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

Did you enjoy it? Did you think it was good, or was did it not fulfill our high expectations for AJ's parents?

I'm just glad they are actually dead instead of on vacation or something like that. So my expectations were pretty much at ground level. With how crap the writing has gotten lately I could definitely see them pulling something like that. Thankfully someone salvaged this at least. As for it being derivative, the last few seasons have been extremely derivative and bad at it. By contrast this was actually cute, even if it was indeed Romeo and Juliet. If you're going to be derivative at least be entertaining is my take on the matter, and this was one of the VERY few episodes that hit that mark for me recently.

On 31-7-2017 at 5:45 PM, Millennium Shadow said:

Almost correct. Many fans have been waiting for this episode, so this needed to happen and the rivaly between the families is maybe forced, but it is realistic. Two companies, who serve the food for one little town. Of course they are rivals to the core. ;)

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just because fans were waiting for this episode for years doesn't make it 'fan service'. Even if it was that, it is probably the most well done fan service in the show. The story was a Romeo and Juliet style, but it totally worked here. It was a hatred between families because of business, one of the most petty things they could be angry at each other for, but it really brings together the relationship of Bright and Pear. They were able to ignore this petty nonsense and love each other for who they were. This also nails into another great aspect of the episode, which was Grand Pear himself. Was he a douche? Yup, and that makes his character all the more tragic. He couldn't let things go, so he essentially let his own daughter go and missed out on so much with his daughter and grandkids. Now his daughter is long gone and that really makes me feel bad for his character. Which made his return a lot more heartwarming to me. Was the episode a tad fast at times? Sure, but we have to remember that they have a specific time limit go on and they had to get a lot across here. The pacing could have been infinitely worse.

Stuff like this and how it makes me think so much about the characters reminds me why this episode is in my top 3 of the entire show. It is just so good. Statistically, there will always be some that do not like an episode no matter how well received it is in general, but that's fine.